In the five years since Nickelodeon introduced NickSplat, adults who grew up during the 1990s and early 2000s experienced the nostalgia of re-watching some of their favorite shows from childhood. Even better, those with children of their own introduced their kids to the timeless classics they watched and loved. The channel now expanded its online offerings to include NickHits through Amazon Prime and free episodes on its website.
What classic Nickelodeon shows do we mean? What can you watch online via NickSplat? The online TV channel offers reruns of shows including "Hey Arnold," "Rocko's Modern Life," "SpongeBob SquarePants," "The Wild Thornberrys," "The Angry Beavers," "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" and many others. You can also watch many episodes of these classic shows on the TV channel's website, Nick.com.
What Classic Nickelodeon Shows Will You Watch Online?
You'll have numerous favorite Nickelodeon classics from which to choose when watching online. What treasures from childhood or your teen years might you re-watch? You can still watch many of your favorites. Pick a TV show from the following popular classics and bask in the joy of being a 90s kid.
Based on "Beat the Clock," from the 1970s, the late 1980s show, "Double Dare," pitted teams of two children against one another in trivia and physical feats. As a longest running Nickelodeon show, It ran from 1986 to 1988 and included many fun facts.
Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
This hilarious cartoon about monsters' childhood and their primary school days drew heavy hitter actors like Tim Curry and Jim Belushi to voice some of the characters. Relive the downfalls of child monsters trying valiantly to scare humans when you watch "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters."
The classic Nickelodeon cartoon "Hey Arnold!" explores a teen's life in the city in a racially diverse neighborhood. Arnold resides with his grandparents in a boarding house.
Rocko's Modern Life
Launched in 1993, "Rocko's Modern Life" ran for four seasons. The show follows the adventures of a wallaby named Rocko who moves from his native Australia to the USA. He befriends a cow, Heffer, a dog named Spunky, and Filburt the turtle. Their life in the fictional O-Town offers adult humor and satirical social commentary.
"SpongeBob SquarePants", a Nickelodeon classic, explores the life and times of an ocean-dwelling sponge, Bob, and a starfish, Patrick. They adore adventure, annoying Squidward, the squid, and eating burgers. From the best SpongeBob characters to the quirky and mind-blowing SpongeBob facts, the TV series is still watched to this day.
The Amanda Show
Actress Amanda Bynes got her start on classic Nickelodeon, hosting a variety show focused on sketch comedy. On air from 1999 to 2002, Bynes hosted "The Amanda Show" during her early teen years, starting at age 13. Watch this one to show your kids a true life happy ending. Bynes retired from acting in 2010, to focus on her education, earning an associate's and a bachelor's degree in merchandise product development.
Preschoolers and their parents watched the original of this show from 1996 to 2006. In 2019, the television station Nickelodeon brought the show back in an updated format. The blue dog Blue still places his paws on three clues, so his owner can solve a mystery. An old Nickelodeon classic that will stir up nostalgia in any 90s kid, or even early 2000s. The beauty of this TV show, however, is that kids these days are able to watch it again.
Clarissa Explains It All
In 1991, Nickelodeon created the first of its shows to feature a female lead, then 15-year-old Melissa Joan Hart. "Clarissa Explains It All" revolved around an American teen dealing with the typical challenges of life – crushes, classes, earning your driver's license. Hart broke the fourth wall to speak directly to the audience. Re-watch this one to show your kids how the superstar actress, producer, and director got her start.
The Journey of Allen Strange
The Nickelodeon show revolves around an alien, Allen Strange, living on Earth in disguise. He wants to return to his home planet, Xelan, but he's trapped here. On air from 1997 to 2000, this show essentially gave little kids their version of the aliens from The X-Files.
Where to Watch Classic Nickelodeon Shows
You've got so many choices of where to watch these and other favorite classic Nickelodeon shows. On Apple TV, look for Nickelodeon Rewind to watch classics like "Doug," "The Angry Beavers," "Rocko's Modern Life," "Hey Arnold!," "CatDog," "Aaaahh!!! Real Monsters," and "Rocket Power." On the UK's NickSplat, watch everything Nick that's on Apple TV plus "As Told By Ginger" and "Clarissa Explains It All." On Amazon Prime Video, NickHits offers shows geared toward older children and teens, such as "SpongeBob SquarePants," "Are You Afraid of the Dark?," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," "iCarly," "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide," and many others. You can also try out various shows on Nick.com, which offers a handful of episodes of most of its shows but relies on subscription services for offering full seasons of most shows.
Celebrating Classic Nickelodeon Shows
While watching classics like Ren and Stimpy or Clarrisa Explains It All on TV, you can bring the characters into your home with the Nick subscription box. This unique seasonal box combines items like t-shirts, themed ice packs, stuffed animals, mugs, planters, umbrellas, keychains, socks, hats, stickers, and many other items from the wide array of classic Nickelodeon shows. For example, the '90s Picnic-themed box ships in August 2022 and covers 1990s Nickelodeon cartoons including "Rugrats," "Ren and Stimpy," "Rocko's Modern Life," "Hey Arnold!," "Reptar," "Are You Afraid of the Dark?," and "Good Burger." Relive your childhood with CultureFly where you can purchase a nerd box filled with everything a superfan would need. From classic superhero movies, your favorite Nickelodeon shows, CultureFly has all your needs!
- Kickham, Dylan. "You Can Now Stream All Your Favorite Classic Nickelodeon Shows From The '90s Online." Aug. 28, 2018. Elite Daily, https://www.elitedaily.com/p/nickelodeons-classic-90s-shows-are-now-streaming-online-at-nicksplat-10468463
- "Nickelodeon | Kids Games, Kids Celebrity Video, Kids Shows | Nick UK." NICK UK, 2019, www.nick.com.
- "Double Dare." Classic Nick Wiki, https://classicnickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Double_Dare.
- Gaffney, Peter, et al. "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters." IMDb, 29 Oct. 1994, www.imdb.com/title/tt0108684/. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- Bartlett, Craig, et al. "Hey Arnold!" IMDb, 9 Sept. 1996, www.imdb.com/title/tt0115200/. Accessed 4 Dec. 2019.
- Murray, Joe, et al. "Rocko's Modern Life." IMDb, 18 Sept. 1993, www.imdb.com/title/tt0106115/. Accessed 9 Dec. 2019.
- "Nickelodeon | Kids Games, Kids Celebrity Video, Kids Shows | Nick UK." NICK UK, 2019, www.nick.com/shows/spongebob-squarepants.
- "The Amanda Show." Nickelodeon, nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/The_Amanda_Show. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- Lindsay, Kathryn. "Amanda Bynes Just Graduated from College!" Www.refinery29.com, www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/06/236303/amanda-bynes-graduate-from-college-fidm. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- Swift, Andy, and Andy Swift. "Blue's Clues Reboot Video: Nickelodeon Classic Gets New Host, CGI Makeover." TVLine, 27 May 2019, tvline.com/2019/05/27/blues-clues-reboot-watch-trailer-video-joshua-dela-cruz/. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- "Clarissa Explains It All." Nickelodeon, nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Clarissa_Explains_It_All.
- "Melissa Joan Hart." IMDb, www.imdb.com/name/nm0004997/?ref_=tt_ov_st. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- Wiki Targeted Entertainment. "The Journey of Allen Strange." Nickelodeon, 2022, nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/The_Journey_of_Allen_Strange. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- "Nickelodeon Rewind | Apple TV." Apple TV, 18 Aug. 1991, tv.apple.com/us/show/nickelodeon-rewind/umc.cmc.3u9kw10lienrqbrd4pfsjfcm0. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- "The Splat | Videos & Games | Nick 90s." NICK UK, www.nick.co.uk/shows/the-splat/zjtqld. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- "All Nickhits Amazon Channel Shows to Watch." JustWatch, www.justwatch.com/us/provider/nickhits-amazon-channel/tv-shows. Accessed 25 June 2022.
- "The Nick Box." Culturefly.com, culturefly.com/pages/subscription-nick. Accessed 25 June 2022.